Thursday, September 18, 2014

We Tend to Seek Happiness...

...When Happiness is Actually a Choice.

What an intriguing perspective on social media and the over-saturation we have (and will likely never lose) with photographs and videos and documenting our lives (see video below).  I am quick to say I'm "anti-selfie" and feel like we are living in a world with narcissistic people who rely on others' affirmation of their beauty, status, etc. to determine their self-worth, and if I'm honest, I know I can be overly judgmental at times of those "guilty" of partaking in this.  However, this perspective makes sense to me.  We are choosing our own memories of our own lives.  Instagram is especially helping us engage in the present as an "anticipated memory" because it is filled with so many beautiful spaces (and not just faces).  I want to travel to new places because of the photos my friends post on insta.

In some ways, this theory goes along with the idea that happiness is a choice.  Some of us choose to be happy, and some of us choose to focus on the sad/negative; so maybe we do that with memories (and anticipated memories) too?  By choosing to take a photo of a beautiful night, and save or even edit it to make it even brighter and more beautiful,  I'm choosing ahead of time to have a happy recollection when I think back.  I'm already creating a happy experience or reflection in the future for myself.  Could the same be true for those who see things negatively?


I'm a total sucker for positive thinking.  This summer I've been wading through some stuff and people keep asking me how I stay so happy.  What is my secret.  They say I don't seem as sad as I should.  I'm not sure I have a great answer for that, because this summer hasn't been that easy, but I know that I try my best to stay happy or find small things in every day that are good and just keep piling those up on each other to create a day that was filled with more good and happy things than bad -- and then do it again the next day.  And maybe knowing that not every day is going to be 100% happy - that's OK too.  We are human, how could we possibly be happy and fulfilled all the time?  Contentedness can come from understanding that.

what made her strong was
despite the million things
that hurt her 
she spoke of nothing
nothing
but happiness
-j.a.

xo
B

No comments:

Post a Comment